Energizing Life’s Work was the theme of this years event
American Authors and Seth Meyers kick off an amazing
What better way to energize the day than with music and comedy? Indie American band, American Authors, rocked the house with a trio of melodies — Best Day of My Life, Luck and Believer. Then, true to IBM Connect tradition, the opening general session guest is the most closely guarded secret ever. But understandably so when you announce a name as widely known as Seth Meyers – head writer for NBC’s Saturday Night Live and the new Late Night host starting February 24. Seth shared his take on the power of social and how it’s helping to democratize the way he finds viable comedic talent. He and his team scout and hire comedy writers by analyzing.
the Twitter account history of candidates – how funny have they been over the last year and how is their audience responding. This approach proved crucial in finding exceptional writers for his new Late Night gig. The comedy was nonstop as he shared his experiences with President Obama — from an appearance on Saturday Night Live to the embarrassing exchange with the President when cutting his wife off at the pass to shake the President’s hand first. The audience got a chuckle when Seth shared the joys of when Facebook was actually a “book of faces” and the database was safe because it was just a book.
You might think that coming onstage on the heels of a live band might be anti-climactic, but Jay Baer, social media expert and best-selling author, kept the opening session crowd engaged with his social knowledge and good humor.
Maintaining the momentum, Craig Hayman, IBM Industry Cloud Solutions GM, spoke of how Energizing Life’s Work is about inspiring our clients to re-imagine how work gets done in their organization. The winning combination is that Employee Experience drives the Client Experience. This creates a fully engaged workforce with the creativity and energy needed to deliver exceptional client experiences. Three dynamics will help shape a smarter workforce: opening up to customer influence; pioneering digital-physical innovation; and crafting engaging customer experiences.
And the Best of Show & Chief Technology Award goes to…
The winner of the Best of Show & CTO Award is Teamstudio, Inc. from the United States. Teamstudio’s ‘Unplugged’ allows customers to quickly and easily mobilize their existing IBM Notes and Domino applications. Unplugged allows Notes/Domino customers to provide instant, offline access to Domino data and applications on popular smartphone or tablet platforms.
The combined Best of Show and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) award recognizes visionary IBM Business Partners who are leading the technology charge by utilizing cross-IBM Software Group capabilities in innovative, leading-edge, and exciting new ways.
The top three finalists were: ISW (Australia), Trilog Group, Inc. (US), and SugarCRM (US).
Key collaboration announcements excite audience
Based upon feedback, IBM’s announcements were exactly what the audience wanted to hear. Here are highlights of what was shared by Jeff Schick, VP of IBM Social Software.
- New Beta of the Exceptional Digital Experience Portfolio, specifically IBM WebSphere Portal and IBM Web Content Manager. Enhancements will expand the community of people who can contribute to the management and control of the digital experience.
- IBM Web Content Manager for WebSphere Commerce enables business users to easily create, manage and promote Web content to their eCommerce sites.
- IBM WebSphere Portal Integration for Enterprise Marketing Management allows a marketing team to create targeted, promotional offers in their campaign management system and easily place the offers into the customer’s digital experience to optimize campaign results.
- IBM Digital Experience Patterns to support IBM PureSystems.
- IBM Kenexa Talent Suite allows HR and C-suite execs to gain actionable insights into the deluge of daily data shared by their workforce.
- IBM Social Learning combines analytics and social capabilities to make it easier for experienced employees to share their skills and expertise with new hires and people in new roles.
- The rebranding of IBM collaboration offerings, by making them all part of the IBM Connections brand. That means that mail, chat, meetings, social, office productivity and content will all be part of the Connections brand, and exist on the Connections social collaboration platform.
- IBM Mail “Next” will radically simplify email and significantly reduce information overload by allowing you to take action on virtually anything that lands in your inbox.
Our team had a great experience at IBM Connect 2014. Here are some of the highlights our team would like to share:
- IBM Mail Next Client is going to revolutionize the Inbox with a truly Social experience. It represents the natural convergence of social and email.
- Domino Apps in the Cloud as PaaS (Platform as a Service) sounds like a very interesting way to help Domino customers leverage IBM SmartCloud
- Connections will have the Ephox rich text editor available with 4.5 IFR2.
- Connections Next will have mobile improvements, external community collaboration, an improved homepage/activity stream, a community dashboard, @mentions throughout, and lots more.
Blown away by Christopher C. Crummey’s presentation INV104: Becoming a Social Business: Customer Success Stories and Best Practices. Here are some of the highlights of that presentation:
- “Culture eats strategy for breakfast”
- Files = Single version of the truth; they allow for organic resharing.
- Sharing in Files is way, way, way better than email for getting information out to the world. The same with Blogs.
- Looked at Community types: large communication engine, line of business, project-based, customer hub, with a special peek at IBM’s New Employee Experience programs — Soon to be Blue (a community for IBM Pre-Hires); New to Blue; Getting Oriented; EDVisor, Deeper Insight.
- Great examples of the power of Connections, and of Social in general
- Organizations that make effective use of the tools in Connections can run circles around organizations that use traditional non-Social tools like email and phone and portal announcement pages.
RockTeam presented the following Sessions
IBM has posted some of these sessions to view, go to ibm.com/connect for a first hand look into the action at Connect2014!
If you were able to attend IBM Connect 2014, I am sure you’ll agree that it was an exciting and informative experience. Hopefully you were able to attend one of the RockTeam below. If not, check back to view these sessions from this website.
How to Drive Social Business at Small and Medium Businesses! with Doug Morrison
BoF603 Monday 1/27, 6:15pm – 7:15pm, Swan Toucan 2
IBM Business Partners, Customers, and IBM Mid Market reps, join us to discuss the challenges and successes from the use of Social Business via SmartCloud and Connections. Share strategies for adoption and dive into specific examples of the Social Business technology in a real world. Bring your examples and questions. Disprove the theory that Social Business is only for large enterprise companies. Business Partners, let’s share in how we have helped our customers adopt Social Business into their organization. Customers, come and learn how Social Business can be a part of your organization regardless of the size. If you are part of a large organization, you have teams or departments that could benefit from our discussions.
Practical Solutions for Connections Admins with Sharon Bellamy and Christoph Stoettner
BP307 Tuesday 1/28, 4:15pm – 5:15pm, Dolphin S. Hem I
Struggling to manage some of the more complex IBM Connections administrator tasks? We will take you through some scenarios to help you configure and troubleshoot your IBM Connections environment with some handy scripts and tips. From starting and stopping the servers, through to the configuration of applications security, IBM WebSphere parameters and troubleshooting tasks such as checking database connectivity — we have a script or a tip to help you.
SmartCloud Notes Onboarding Issues, Tips and Tricks with Rob Kirkland and Brian Wert
BoF501 Wed 1/29, 7am – 8am, Swan Toucan 2
SmartCloud specialists, Business Partners and interested clients – come and share your experience with Onboarding SmartCloud. Discuss challenges and issues encountered during configuration of the hybrid Notes environment and in the actual onboarding process. Discuss techniques for encouraging newly provisioned SmartCloud users to become familiar with the SmartCloud environment and tools and to start using them productively. Let’s share our experience and knowledge leading to successful SmartCloud experiences.
Schedule a meeting
Make an appointment to meet with one of team to discuss software, services, support, and training. Call direct or click here to request an appointment.